The Wellock family’s association with food began in 1946 with Eric Wellock, who had a traditional greengrocers in Silsden, Yorkshire. He was followed by son Richard, who became a potato merchant, supplying local fish and chip shops with potatoes he bought himself, directly from farms. He later opened a stall on Skipton market selling fresh fruit and vegetables.
Richard set up Wellocks in 1961. Later, around 1980, after a local company selling fresh produce to greengrocers was bought out, Richard spotted a gap in the market and employed three of the former salesmen from the old company, invested in some delivery wagons and Wellocks grew once again.